|Village of Glencoe, Glencoe, IL
Affluent municipality, 10 miles north of Chicago, with fully integrated public safety department that cross-trains and certifies all sworn employees as police officers, firefighters, and EMTs/paramedics.
Research and Planning Manager (Public Safety Analyst)
Provided vision and leadership managing support services and future planning across enterprise, ensuring best practices, administering accreditation process, managing projects, training staff, advising management, and authoring guidelines/procedures aligned with local, state, and federal guidelines.
- $400,000 in funding received for public education, equipment, and overtime through implementation of first of its kind grant program that achieved 60% success rate vs. 5% national average.
- Achieved Fire Accreditation, which are fire agency best practices, after authoring self-assessment manual in 10 functional areas and supporting suite of policies and procedures, enabling department to become only fully integrated, dually accredited (police and fire) public safety agency worldwide.
- $125,000 in overtime saved annually as result of analysis of department scheduling, modifying formula for compensatory time and adding one full-time position.
- Maintained Police Accreditation (best practices) by ensuring compliance and documentation of policies and procedures for 464 professional standards and 1,100+ sub sections during three-year process.
TRAINING & DEVELOPMENT
- Authored Risk Hazard Assessment to evaluate each commercial and multi-family residence using multiple data points, enabling effective response for fire/EMS incidents based on risk, demand, and probability.
- Increased civilian staff morale through training opportunities such as: Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation Instructors, National Incident Management System Instructors, Child Safety Seat Installers, Occupant Service Liaisons, and playing role in incident command structure of major fires and other incidents.
- Taught Risk Management to almost 100 Fire Chiefs as Vice-Chair of Illinois Fire Accreditation Managers, covering topics including mathematically calculating fire and non-fire risk.
- Enabled Huntley Fire Protection District to receive fire accreditation in August 2009 by mentoring them through process, reviewing/assisting in document development, and suggesting improvements.
|Lyons Township High School District #204, LaGrange, IL
High School District west of Chicago with approximately 4,000 students and 500 employees.
Safety and Security Director
Led 30-member staff in creating and implementing professional safety and security program, training personnel, mentoring students, conducting investigations, and authoring crisis plans across two campuses.
- Centralized management of security functions in collaboration with students, faculty, and support staff across two campuses that expanded 300%, providing constant security presence by implementing security camera, staff identification, and visitor badge systems.
- Developed district-wide Crisis Plans before 9/11 covering Student Abduction, Bomb Threat, Chemical Spill/Hazardous Materials, Civil Disturbance, Fires, Hostages, Hostile Intruder/Active Shooter, and Presence of Firearm in School.
- Created new paradigm and justified potential disaster cost avoidance through recruiting activities to increase number of security officials, who saved tens-of–thousands of dollars. Organized informal group of High School Security Directors who met monthly, shared information, and supported each other with policies and intelligence to keep students and faculty safe.
- Tightened building access, eliminated unauthorized visitors, and increased safety perception by forming committee of parents, students, teachers, administrators, and support staff to plan safety direction, review incidents, and provide input for crisis plans, security cameras, and ID badge system.
|Schaumburg School District #54, Schaumburg, IL
K-8 school district northwest of Chicago.
Crisis Intervention Worker
Participated on multi-disciplinary team creating IEPs (Individual Educational Plans) and Behavior Management Programs, enabling special needs students to flourish and succeed in school.
|Advance Security, Chicago, IL
One time, fourth largest Private Security Agency in U.S.
Director of Branch Operations
Supervised 200+ personnel while running Chicago office, managing security at Children's Memorial Hospital, and establishing security account at Mt. Sinai Hospital.
- Changed mindset from quasi-military management structure into self-empowered, self-motivated employees through staff training, teambuilding, decision-making, and mentoring supervisors.
- Provided classroom and OTJ training on customer service, managing violent people, calming people down, handling security threats, and police community relations as new security agency for hospital security clients.
Additional Career Experience
Vice President/Chief Operating Officer, The Melnick Conglomerate, Buffalo Grove, IL 2006– Present
New Media Coordinator, The Campaign to Elect Arie Friedman, MD, Lincolnshire, IL 2009–2010
Adjunct Instructor, Roosevelt University, Chicago, IL 2000